Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Kindergarten Adventure Begins

The first day of Kindergarten has finally arrived!  I remember this time last year thinking to myself how glad I was that they still had another year of preschool before I had to send them off into the big bad world.  That certainly flew by!!!

Despite having attended Kick Off to Kindergarten camp and Orientation, Aidan was still pretty nervous.  He asked me numerous questions including:

"Why did you sign me up for this?"
"Maybe Maddie should go to Kindergarten alone?"
"Can you call the Kindergarten and tell them I'm busy"

And Maddie had her typical reaction to new experiences - she was excited and not the slightest bit fazed!

However, after hemming and hawing for a bit - Aidan stopped, looked at me and said "Mom, I have to do this, so I am just going to do it".  And he did :-)


You can see the remnants of nervousness on Aidan's face as we wait for the bus.

The big, bad scary school bus that actually turned out to be "pretty awesome".

I had hoped to get a shot of them climbing the bus stairs or perhaps peeking out the window at me, instead I got this.  The kids are so tiny you can't even tell they are on the bus at all!  Guess I should have been more specific about my plans...

Nervous Mommy that I am, I got to the afternoon bus stop 20 plus minutes early to make sure that was no way on earth I missed it.  The kids jumped right off with smiles on their faces and said the bus was awesome (I'm sure they'll tire of that eventually) and their days went well. Maddie stayed on green all day and earned a marble towards a prize.  She is very committed to remaining on green everyday and we don't doubt she can do it!  And in typical Aidan fashion, his favorite new friend so far is Victoria. 

A good start to the year so far indeed!


No comments: