Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Grand Slam ala Mansfield

Seriously not sure I've ever experienced anything quite as adorable as the twinkies taking tennis lessons!  The first lesson was cancelled due to rain and the instructor (Chris) called to let us know.  From that day forward Aidan kept talking about when he would get to meet 'Coach Chris' (because "Coach Chris is just like me I think" - I assume he meant that he was a boy??)

The lesson had a mish mosh of adults and children, but M&A were definitely the youngest out there.  They started the lesson with some stretches and M&A were trying so hard to do them just like the cool college aged instructors.  Then a jog a round the courts and right into action.  Mostly just drills, but a few really fun games mixed in. 

Whenever Aidan would actually hit one of the balls, he'd look back at us and call out "Hey, I'm really excellent at tennis"!  All the other parents got a giggle out of that.

Anyone who knows Maddie knows that she LOVES to be the best at things.  She took this very seriously and tried very hard.  The other 2 kids on the court with them were older and had taken lessons before - so it was a no-go on being the best.  But she kept right at it and eventually found that if she ran after the balls super fast, she could be the best ball collector.  And she was!

I could tell that one of the instructors was getting a real kick out of Aidan and they way he beats to his own drummer.  During one of the games, the goal was to run fast and steal balls from your opponents tennis racquets that were laying on the ground.  Aidan decided it was more sportsmanly to actually add balls to the other kids' racquets.  I know it's because he doesn't like to see anyone else get upset and would rather have none for himself - but the instructors just thought he was a zany, silly kid!


Practicing his stance...

Not gonna give that ball a chance to even get over the net!

Capturing the 10 second period their backs weren't to us...

The Dodge ball/run to the net game...

the only time it's "OK" for instructors to huck balls at the children!

The ONE photo I didn't have to take by shoving my camera lens through the holes in the chain link fence and Aidan decides to be a jokester!



They are definitely looking forward to their next lesson and Kurt & I are looking forward to maybe being able to get back to playing tennis ourselves someday!

No comments: